DEADLINE EXTENSION: In light of the recent coronavirus pandemic, the Fourth Annual Dr. Michael R. Freeman Innovation Competition deadline of May 15, 2020 will be extended until later in the fall of 2020. Once the participating hospitals and their staff get a better understanding of their clinical demands with the pandemic, we will be reaching out to determine a more appropriate deadline and presentation date for this year’s Innovation Competition. We hope everyone is staying safe, remaining healthy and optimistic in light of these challenging times.
About the Michael R Freeman Innovation Award
In collaboration with the Heart and Stroke/Richard Lewar Centre of Excellence in Cardiovascular Research (HSRLCE), the academic/teaching hospitals from the Toronto Central Local Health Integration Network (i.e. Hospital for Sick Children, St. Michael’s Hospital, Sinai Health Systems, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, the Women’s College Hospital, the University Health Network and University of Toronto’s Translational Biology and Engineering Program) are hosting a Cardiac and Vascular Collaborative Innovation Competition.
The goal is to spur innovation and collaboration between institutes with the aim of improving quality of care within cardiac and vascular programs. The purpose of the award is to provide seed funding for novel ideas aimed at cardiovascular disease management, emphasizing collaborative research and development at multiple sites within the TCLHIN and initiated by at least one investigator from within the LHIN. Priority will be given to ideas with a pathway toward commercialization within 5 years.
– Each of the seven participating sites (HSC, SMH, SBHS, SBHSC, UHN, UofT TBEP and WCH) will commit funds of $35,000 per site toward associated activities at their site. This will be matched (1:3 ratio) by a $75,000 support by HSRLCE, to provide a potential total award pool of $300K per year.
– The total potential funding available per year is $300,000 based on multi-site participation in which the HSRLCE will match funds from participating sites with a ratio of 1:3 (HSRLCE: participating site funds).
– The maximum award per successful proposal is $150,000.
– Award term will be one year (awardees have up to 2 years to spend the money). A second term of funding is possible with re-application and associated competitive review.
Timelines (TO BE DETERMINED):
Deadline for Applications TBD – Click here to download the application form
Notification of Award TBD
Award Start Date TBD
- Principal applicants must be full-time staff of HSC, SMH, SHS, SBHSC, UHN, WCH, or UofT campus-based researchers.
- Projects must be collaborative and must include co-applicants from at least two of the participating institutions (HSC, SMH, SHS, SBHSC, UHN, UofT and WCH). Preference may be given to multidisciplinary projects that span more institutions and should demonstrate added value leveraging local strengths.
- Principal applicant can only submit one application per year for proposal review.
- Preference will be given to applications that represent a new unfunded initiative for the applicants.
Other Terms of Reference
For full details and terms of reference please click here to view the 2020 Dr. Michael R Freeman Innovation Award Competition – Request for Applications
Click here to download the application form.
Questions regarding this competition may be directed to:
Ryan Scott, MSc, MBA, Manager, Strategic Programs
TC LHIN Academic Cardiac & Vascular Collaborative
416-340-4800 ext. 4603 or email@example.com