HSRLCE Undergraduate Awards: HSBC Future Research Leaders Internships
The Heart & Stroke/Richard Lewar Centre of Excellence (HSRLCE, the Centre) offered two summer undergraduate awards of $4,500 to enable students to work alongside scientists in cardiovascular research laboratories associated with the Peter Munk Cardiac Centre.
The Centre’s undergraduate awards, funded by the HSBC, are intended to support our future research leaders in the initial phase of their training. The objective of these awards is to support a robust and productive research community in Toronto. These awards are made to those who demonstrate the potential for excellence through their previous academic accomplishments and the environment in which they will work.
The two 2020 awardees were:
- Supervisor: Dr. Husam Abdel-Qadir
- Project: WISER – Cardiac imaging utilization and cardiovascular risk prediction during Breast Cancer chemotherapy
- Study: Can we identify cardiac imaging tests that are more likely to yield abnormal findings or change patient care, as well as tests that have a low likelihood of actionable results?
- Supervisor: Dr. Kathryn Howe
- Project: Blood microbiota: Novel biomarkers for the development of chronic limb threatening ischemia
- Research Question: Do peripheral artery disease (PAD) patients with chronic limb threatening ischemia (CLTI) show altered blood microbiota composition as compared to those with intermittent claudication?
Next application date: March 31, 2021