In collaboration with the Canadian Heart Failure Society, Boehringer Ingelheim and EI Lilly, the Heart and Stroke/Richard Lewar Centre of Excellence in Cardiovascular Research (HSRLCE) is pleased to announce the 2019 HSRLCE/CHFS/BI-LILLY Cardiometabolic Award competition.
The goal is to fund innovative ground-breaking clinical research projects in cardiometabolic disease, specifically the link between cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
The program offers two research awards:
• 1st place winner will be awarded $25,000
• 2nd place winner will be awarded $20,000
The award term is one year.
September 9, 2019: Deadline for Applications
October 7, 2019: Notification of Award
October 24-27, 2019: Finalists to present their proposal to committee at CCC (exact date TBC)
November 1, 2019: Award Start Date
Qualified Canadian MDs or PhDs who are within the first five (5) years of their first faculty appointment at a Canadian academic institution and are eligible to conduct clinical research.
Finalists will be required to present their proposals to the review panel (and invited guests) at an event that will be held in conjunction with the 2019 Canadian Cardiovascular Congress in Montreal (October 24-27, 2019 – exact presentation date to be confirmed).
We will fund your flight to Montreal and one night’s accommodation up to a maximum of $1,200. The HSRLCE office will help plan your trip to Montreal (if applicable).
• All supplies and services relating to the research project are considered eligible
• Funds for trainee support (i.e. postdoctoral and graduate) are considered eligible
• Funds for conferences, travel or investigator salaries are NOT considered eligible
Proposals will be evaluated by a national panel of clinician scientists with expertise in the field of cardiometabolic diseases. Proposals will be evaluated on the following criteria:
• Scientific merit of the abstract
• Quality and originality of the proposed project
• Feasibility of the proposed project
• Ability to attend this year’s Canadian Cardiovascular Congress in Montreal (October 24-27, 2019 – exact date TBC), where finalists will present their proposals to the panel and other invited guests
The expert panel and guests will vote on 1st and 2nd prizes.
• Applicants are required to inform the Heart & Stroke/ Richard Lewar Centre of Excellence in Cardiovascular Research (HSRLCE) of any related support currently held or applied for from other funding sources and to what extent such support overlaps with the submitted application.
• Support from “Heart & Stroke/ Richard Lewar Centre of Excellence in Cardiovascular Research (HSRLCE), the Canadian Heart Failure Society, and BI-Lilly” must be acknowledged in all publications, presentations and communications that arise from this funding.
Successful applicants are required to provide a detailed written report within three (3) months of the end of the funding period. The report must include:
• A description of the project and results to date (2 pages);
• A list of publications resulting from research related to the project
Application Deadline: September 9, 2019
Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Click here for a link to the application form.
Click here for the call for applications.
Completed applications should be submitted electronically to Liz Thuo at the Heart & Stroke/Richard Lewar Centre of Excellence (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Business Manager, Heart & Stoke/Richard Lewar Centre of Excellence
Phone: (416) 978-2351