HSRLCE Undergraduate Awards: HSBC Future Research Leaders Internships
Next application deadline: February 28, 2018
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR THE HSBC FUTURE RESEARCH LEADERS INTERNSHIP PROGRAM:
The Heart & Stroke/Richard Lewar Centre of Excellence (HSRLCE, the Centre) will offer two summer undergraduate awards to enable students to work alongside scientists in cardiovascular research laboratories associated with the Peter Munk Cardiac Centre.
The Centre’s undergraduate awards, funded by the HSBC, are intended to support our future research leaders in the initial phase of their training. The objective of these awards is to support a robust and productive research community in Toronto. These awards are made to those who demonstrate the potential for excellence through their previous academic accomplishments and the environment in which they will work.
- The program is open to both Canadian citizens and students from abroad.
- Applicants must be primarily supervised by a currentMember of the Centre. Preference may be given to those whose supervisor also holds an appointment in the Peter Munk Cardiac Centre.
- Applicants to the undergraduate award competition must be enrolled in a full time undergraduate program at the University of Toronto at the time of commencement of funding.
- The applicant’s research project must be primarily in the area of cardiovascular sciences.
- Two awards will be given out annually.
- Limited funds may preclude the awarding of funding to all excellent applicants. The Centre reserves the right to limit the number of awards to students of a single investigator. In the case of multiple applications in a single calendar year from the same laboratory, the principal investigator in the laboratory must rank the applicants from his or her laboratory to indicate priority for funding.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF AWARDS
DURATION OF SUPPORT:
Awards will be made for a period of twelve consecutive weeks. There is no limit to the number of years that an applicant may compete for an HSBC Future Research Leaders Internship award; but the individual must re-apply each year. It is expected that candidates will show good progress in their studies to be given an award in successive years. Awards will commence on the later of June 1st or the start date of the awardee’s research project.
The annual stipend for the HSBC Future Research Leaders Internship award will be $4,500. Non-discretionary benefits are not included in the award and are the responsibility of the student’s supervisor.
A complete application will consist of one original paper copy and a complete electronic copy in PDF format which includes:
1- A completed HSBC Future Research Leaders Internship Award application form
2 – Supervisor’s reference letter (from current or summer supervisor)
3 – Current official undergraduate transcripts
Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
General Instructions for submitting an application:
- Do not place any part of the application in folders or envelopes, except the entire completed application package, as required for shipping. Do not fold any part of the application.
- All attached pages must conform to the following format restrictions:
– A one inch margin should surround the text on all attached pages
– Text must be no smaller than twelve point, or ten characters per inch
– No condensed formatting is allowed
APPLICATIONS SHOULD BE SUBMITTED TO:
Business and Communications Manager
Heart & Stroke/Richard Lewar Centre of Excellence
University of Toronto
6 Queens Park Crescent West
Toronto, ON M5S 3H2
Phone: (416) 978-2351
Applications due (no late submissions will be accepted) – February 28, 2018 at 4:00 pm
Funding begins – June 2018
Undergraduate Award 2018 Application